Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mashed Cauliflower... Never Again!

I will never again make straight up mashed cauliflower. I have tried and tried again and it never even comes close to reaching my expectations. It's just plain yucky! The texture is gross and the taste is bland. I've tried making it a variety of was and I always end up profusely apologizing to my husband and gaging on my own portion. Tonight I wanted to use a delicious looking recipe I had found on Pinterest... only to find that it was a dead link. So I went ahead and "winged it". I ended up making a huge mess in my freshly cleaned kitchen (I attempted to use my hand mixer... cauliflower bits everywhere!) and only had a bland, taste-less mess of gritty mush. It would have been comical if the end result wasn't so damn gross. If I were cuter and funnier it could have been a scene out of Bridget Jones.

Next time I try to make a healthier version of mashed potatoes, I'll revert back to my half-potato, half-cauliflower stand by. I boil two potatoes and about a half a head of cauliflower, drain the water, then add milk and margarine and either mash them by hand or whip them with my hand mixer. Sometimes I add sour cream or some cheese to switch it up a bit. I know it's not the purist's mashed potatoes nor is it extremely healthy (or exciting), but it's comfort food that my family can appreciate. Well, at least my husband and myself; mashed potatoes are one of the foods my two year old has refused to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment