Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wine Cork Garland

I've recently joined Pintrest, and I've been amazed by all the wonderful and creative crafts I've come across. It's awesome to me how people come up with these things. I've actually started to make some of the crafts that I've pinned, although I have yet to actually finish any of them.

While looking through many tutorials, I've realized that I'm pretty crafty myself. One craft I came up with myself and am most proud of is my wine cork garland. My husband and I love wine, as does many of our friends and family members. When we were married, our wedding had a wine theme and I collected wine corks to use as table card holders. I ended up with way more corks than I knew what to do with (mostly collected by friends and family, I promise, I'm not that big of a wino). So I came up with this ingenious idea to create Christmas Tree garland from it. I had been trying to find a unique garland for our tree, and nothing I found fit our personality until I came up with this.

So here's my very own tutorial:


Supplies:
  • many, many corks. I've found the rubber ones are the easiest, but this can be done with cork corks as well and I've even used a champagne cork.
  • twine
  • wooden beads (I used 3/4in ones from Michael's)
  • acrylic paint
  • Phillips head screw driver
  • paint brush
  • sissors
1. Paint the wooden beads and allow them to dry thoroughly. I did half of mine red, the other half green.
2. Cut your twine; I made mine about 7-8 feet long to begin with.

loop knot

3. Tie a knot at the end of your twine. I also added a loop, as I feel it makes it easier to hang the garland on the tree
4. Start making holes in your corks. I used a Phillips head screwdriver. Please be careful not to hurt yourself or your table. For some corks, I put the holes width-wise, others length-wise. Not all of my holes were very straight, but I don't think that really matters.
5. String your beads and corks on in a way that is pleasing to you. To make it easier to string the corks, I made a giant needle out of some wire.
6. Once you've reached your desired length, tie another knot with a loop at the end and you're done!

The best part of this, is that every year you can make a new string!

Here's my tree the first year I did this. One strand isn't quite enough for a 7 ft tree,
but I think it's a pretty unique garland!


1 comment:

  1. Very cute - live in wine country here and I'm web browsing cork garlands.

    ReplyDelete