Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Evolution of the Toddler

If I have learned nothing else from being a mom, it is that my daughter is constantly changing. Nothing about her is static. Everyday she learns a new word (today it is "happy"), tries out a new skill, and changes her mind about what food she likes.

Our newest and most challenging change for me is nap time. For the last almost five months, since cutting down to only one nap, our routine before nap has been very simple. After lunch and a little play time, we go up to her room, close the curtains, and nurse to sleep. Of course, some days when we're out and about, she'll fall asleep in the car, and then I'll carry her to her crib where she continues to sleep. Unfortunately, this past week, nursing to sleep has been wholly unsuccessful. Mind you, she'll fall asleep while nursing; its during the transfer where she wakes up, stands up in her crib, and screams bloody murder.

Today, we tried a completely different approach. After church, she decided she really wanted her "boobies". Ok, fine. So I told her that she could have her boobies now, but then she would have to eat lunch and for nap time she would not get boobies. She agreed, but I was skeptical. As nap time approached, I could tell she was getting quite tired. I told her again, we would go upstairs and read books, but then she would have to close her eyes and go to sleep.

Amazingly, it worked! I mimicked our bed time routine with the exception of a bath and putting on pajamas. We put on her sleep sack, turned on her music, sat in the rocking chair, and read three books. After our three books, and a quick diaper change due to an unexpected poop, I laid her down in her crib and told her night-night. I did not hear a single crab or cry on my way downstairs. I'm sitting here typing and checking the monitor and feel like I was just granted a miracle!

I'm sure with time, this wonderful stage will end and another will begin. I was once told never to get used to any stage, good or bad, because before I know, it will pass. For now, I will enjoy this small victory until the next battle begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment