Saturday, December 31, 2011

No Breastfeeding in 2012

It's not so much a resolution as a statement. It's a statement that I'm completely and utterly conflicted about, but resolute none-the-less. I will miss our breastfeeding relationship. It was wonderful to stop everything and have a little one-on-one cuddle time with my favorite little person. But like everything, this too must come to an end. I'm very proud of our 20+ months of nursing. I entered this arrangement thinking it would last no longer than a year. A few months ago, I decided we'd be done before her second birthday. The last few weeks, our breastfeeding relationship kind of wrapped up on it's own.

If you read about weaning, it's always suggested to avoid weaning at stressful times, including the holidays. I was planning on starting to really wean her after the holidays had commenced. We were already down to just two sessions a day (before nap and before bed), but the hectic schedule of the holidays made my toddler too busy to remember to nurse, and I wasn't about to remind her. I kept our before bed ritual as best I could until this week. Before I knew it, three days had passed without her nursing at all due to evening plans that kept her out past her normal bedtime and falling asleep in the car. We were home all day yesterday, and she asked to be nursed a couple of times, but was easily distracted and despite following all our other nightly rituals, didn't have any problems going to sleep without it.

I'm sure if I wanted to continue nursing, I would still produce milk, but I feel that perhaps this easy weaning was an answer to my prayers for the last 8 months. I was so afraid of a tearful, painful weaning. While it is bittersweet, she doesn't seem to upset by it at all. And I can't tell you how excited I am to go out and purchase bras that don't have escape hatches and actually fit (although I'm willing to bet that the girls are not quite done shrinking yet).

2011 was a wonderful year for my family and I hope 2012 will bring new growth to our little family as we hope to start trying for baby #2 this summer. I wish you all a blessed new year and that you find joy in your families, as I have in mine.

2 comments:

  1. Hi; found your blog randomly by googling breast feeding, and just left a comment on another post. But just wanted to say that if you have the opportunity to more of less organically stop breast feeding without weaning, you should take it! Although I am getting continually distraught over weaning my son or not, I keep thinking he'll just wean himself when he's ready, so major kudos to you for keeping it going as long as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, A. Melinda. I am super glad that it happened mostly on its own. Since this last posting, she has once asked to nurse, even got me all set up in one of our favorite nursing spots with the pillow and everything, and was quite disappointed when I wouldn't nurse her. But once in three weeks isn't bad at all. I'm impressed by your ability to continue to nurse even while working! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete