Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baby Steps

My baby girl had a big day today. In less than two weeks she will be turning one. That's bittersweet enough to think how fast this first year has gone by. Then she had to go and do so much more to make me super proud and a little sad all at the same time.

Today was Mia's last session of physical therapy. Her therapist and I waxed sentimental thinking about how far she's come in less than 6 months. When we first started therapy, she hated to be on her tummy and did not want to bend. I know that sounds silly, but my little girl preferred to be board straight, either laying on her back or being held in a standing position. And also, there was the whole head tilt to the right, turn to the left that was caused by her torticollis (the reason for the therapy). As of this morning she was crawling all over the place, pulling up, cruising and even standing on her own. Her therapist said she doesn't see a tilt at all any more (the turn was the first to go) and that she may even be walking before her birthday party... in less than 2 weeks!

So after therapy, we went to the mall for lunch and a little shopping. After we got home, refused to take a nap (she fell asleep 2 minutes away from home, unfortunately), had a snack and played a little, mommy started making dinner. Mia decided she didn't want mommy to do anything but  hold her. So every couple minutes I picked her up, cuddled her, then set her back on her feet on the floor. One time I did this and then stepped back. She reached out for me and... took two steps!! I scooped her up and fawned over her "yey Mia, yey! What a big girl! You took two steps! Momma's so proud of you!" She was happy that mommy was making such a big deal over her, but I don't think she even realized what she did. I tried to get her to do it again but was only able to get her to take one more step. I made sure to notify all the important people (daddy by voicemail, grandma by phone, and her aunt by text) and fawned over her a little more before returning to dinner.

For the icing on the cake, Mia ate dinner like a champ! She chowed down on broccoli, noodles, ground turkey and cooked green peppers. She really made her mommy proud today!

No comments:

Post a Comment