Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Necessity is...

It is said "necessity is the mother of invention." I think for infants and toddlers, necessity is the mother of fun milestones. Friday night, DH and I took Mia to Go Roma for dinner. (For those of you who don't have the pleasure of a Go Roma, it's halfway between a nice sit-down restaurant and fast food and totally kid friendly). Mia's sippy cup had been in her diaper bag earlier in the day, but she took it out to play with it and, silly mommy, I forgot to put it back in. So when we got to the restaurant and ordered our food (buttered noodles for Mia), they asked if she'd like milk, apple juice or a fountain drink. I told the girl she only drank water, so I guess we'll take fountain drink, and she handed us one of those kid's harder plastic cups with a straw. My LO had never drank from a straw and so I had DH fill it halfway with water and figured it would be a good distraction until the food came.

Mia enjoyed chewing on the straw for awhile. For some reason, I bent my head down next to hers and made a sucking noise with my mouth. She put her mouth on the straw and blew in, making the cup vibrate with bubbles. Again, I made the sucking noise next to her face and this time, she sucked the water up the straw! She was so surprised by the water it threw her into a coughing fit, but she immediately wanted to try again. She got the hang of it pretty fast, although she always had to blow air in first and then suck the water up. But now, at 11 months old, she can use a straw! I'm pretty impressed by my little peanut. And to think, this all came about by being a slacker mommy. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment